Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Memento

 


Rapid Heal 

Marble, felt, thread 

1" x 1" x 2.5"





Artist statement: 

This sculpture was inspired by a moment of hardship I felt while being a collegiate athlete. During my freshman year, I got a stress fracture in my femur due to my eating habits and it caused me to stop running for a long time. The materials I chose, marble, felt, and threat, each resemble an aspect of this memory. The marble, porous and white, resembles my bone. I polished the marble to make it appear as delicate and as glass like as possible, to resemble how fragile my body had been at the time and how prone to injury it was. The marble, inside the thread and felt, is split in two. The blue string is wound tightly to keep the bone together, representing the healing that occurred over time. However, the string is also very delicate, and if too much weight is put on it, it is unable to maintain the two pieces of marble together, representing how If I am not careful with running again, I am more susceptible to being injured again. The blue felt represents my second bone injury my sophmore year in the same place. It represents more of my memory tied to being injured, and the strings that keep the felt together are tied only on one side, implying that only one side of me can learn to let the anxiety of dealing with this injury go. Overall, the color themes are White, light blue, and dark blue. I chose this because I associate blue with my running career, mostly due to my high school team being white and blue. I often associate blue with running because that was when I was the healthiest while running and not injured.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Figurative Bust

  Fur and Pearls   Air dry clay, acrylic ink, wood   2.5” x 1.5” x 3”   Bison Head   Air dry clay, acrylic ink, wood   2 ”  x 2 ”  x 3 ”  ...